APL Membership: Leveraging your pig levy
If you’re an Australian Pig Producer and you’ve paid the Pig Slaughter Levy in the 2018-19 financial year, you’re eligible to apply for or renew your APL Producer Membership, and gain access to a range of membership benefits – including voting for your representative in the upcoming Delegate Elections.
Being a pig producer does not automatically make you a Producer Member, as APL has an obligation to confirm its Members’ details and eligibility for membership every three years.
Members who have paid levy in the financial 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019 are eligible to apply for or renew their full membership for the period 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2022.
There are three different membership categories:
- Producer member: levy paying producers; members in this category can vote for a delegate, provided they submit their membership application to APL before the return date as set out by the Board (2 September 2019).
- Associate producer member: producers who have not paid levy in the relevant financial year; these producers are required to be sponsored by a current APL member and are not eligible to vote, and
- Associate corporate member: an industry related company or manufacturer with clear benefits and connections to the pig industry.
As an APL Producer Member you will receive:
- The rights to nominate and vote for a Delegate – for every $1 of levy paid, Producer Members are entitled to 1 vote for their nominated Delegate
- Access to exclusive Members-Only online content such as Delegate Forum presentations, Pig Farm Invasion Tool Kit and APL’s online publication archives
- The member-exclusive monthly newsletter, APL Update
- Weekly Ears and Ears market news
- Weekly estimate slaughter trends
- Monthly Imports, Exports and Domestic Production market reports
- Subsidised travel to and from the Pan Pacific Pork Expo (PPPE)
- Preferential registration to APL workshops, conferences, webinars and exhibitions
- Opportunities to network with industry experts and other groups
APL producer membership is free, however APL has a responsibility to verify your eligibility as a member and other details as required.
In previous years, this meant that, along with the membership details form, producers had to complete a Statutory Declaration every three years stating the Pig Slaughter Levy paid by the member in the previous financial year.
For the upcoming membership year, producers who have been using the online PigPass movement reporting system now have the option to instead consent to APL accessing their PigPass records to verify the levy paid, reducing the burden of getting a Statutory Declaration witnessed.
Current APL Producer Members
To maintain their APL Membership, existing APL Producer Members must confirm or update their organisation information and eligibility for membership and must either;
- give a standing consent for APL to calculate levy paid via accessing PigPass records (NVDs), or
- provide a statutory declaration to APL stating that they are an Australian pig producer and the amount of Pig Slaughter Levy they have paid in the relevant financial year.
Levy contributions are calculated from the number of pigs slaughtered in the previous financial year. For the upcoming membership renewal period, the Pig Slaughter Levy paid will be the number of pigs slaughtered for 2018/2019 x $3.25.
For the upcoming period, membership renewal forms must be completed and submitted between 1 July 2019 and 2 September 2019. Membership renewal forms will be provided to members prior to 30 June 2019, and available from this webpage and through PigPass .
If you are an APL Member and wish to login to the APL Member Portal, go to:
New APL Members
Australian Pig Producers who have paid a Pig Slaughter Levy during the previous financial year may become APL Producer Members at any time, however please be aware that all producer members, including those who sign up from January to June 2019, will be required to complete membership renewal forms for the 2019-2022 membership period.
To become an APL Member, please download and complete one of the following forms. Current Associate Producer Members who have paid a Pig Slaughter Levy in the 2018-19 financial year should submit a Producer Membership form.
Producer Membership Form
(Producers who pay a levy)
Associate Producer Membership Form
(Producers who do not pay a levy or have not paid levy in the previous financial year)
For further information, please contact the APL Events and Membership Officer on 1800 789 099 (toll free) or email firstname.lastname@example.org